Saudi Arabia says Khashoggi's killing was premeditated in latest reversal
In this file image taken from CCTV video obtained by the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet shows Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2018. (AP/AP) October 25 at 8:44 AM
ISTANBUL â" Saudi Arabiaâs public prosecutor said on Thursday that Jamal Khashoggi was killed in a planned operation, citing information it received from Turkish investigators in Istanbul, according to a statement from the kingdomâs Foreign Ministry.
It is the latest reversal from Saudi authorities, who last week said Khashoggi was killed accidentally in a fistfight at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul by ârogueâ agents. President Trump had initially said that explan ation was credible, but in recent days expressed doubts, calling it âthe worst coverup ever.â
According to the statement, a joint Saudi-Turkish investigative team in Istanbul âindicates that the suspects in the incident had committed their act with a premeditated intention.â
The announcement underscored the rapidly mounting pressures on Saudi Arabia to fully illuminate Khashoggiâs killing, after its previous explanations were contradicted by Turkey and met with skepticism by the United States, a close Saudi ally.
Still, neither Trump nor Saudi Arabia have been willing to implicate Saudi leadership in the journalistâs killing. American intelligence officials and lawmakers have said that an operation targeting a critic of the royal court in a foreign country is unlikely to have been ordered without the knowledge of senior Saudi officials.
Thursdayâs announcement comes days after CIA Director Gina Haspel traveled to Turkey and listened to audio purportedly capturing the journalistâs murder, giving a key member of Trumpâs cabinet access to the central piece of evidence Turkey has used to assert that the killing was planned.
It also came two days after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan gave a speech calling Khashoggiâs killing âbrutalâ and âplannedâ while demanding that the perpetrators be extradited to Turkey.
The Foreign Ministry did not say what led the Saudi prosecutor to draw that conclusion, only that it was based on information shared by Turkish investigators working with Saudi officials in Turkey. According to the statement, the Saudi prosecutor will continue its investigation based on the new information.
Shortly after Khashoggi disappeared on Oct. 2 while retrieving a document at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkish authorities said he was killed in a premeditated attack by 15 Saudi agents sent to Turkey with the purpose of killing the journalist, who had been cr itical of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Saudi Arabia initially denied any knowledge of Khashoggiâs fate, but last week said it had arrested 18 people and dismissed five senior officials after a preliminary investigation revealed he was killed in a fistfight at the consulate during a botched intelligence operation.
[CIA director listens to audio of journalistâs alleged murder]
The arrests were accompanied by an announcement that King Salman was placing his son, Mohammed, in charge of restructuring the Saudi intelligence apparatus â" a move that all but ended speculation that the crown prince would be sanctioned.
Mohammed has denied any prior knowledge of the of the mission and on Wednesday called the journalistâs killing âa hideous crime.â
Turkey dismissed the Saudi assertion of an accidental death and has pressed the kingdom to concede Khashoggi was deliberately targeted for death.
Turkish officials have balked at the ability of Saudi Arabia to conduct a credible investigation given the suspicion surrounding the royal courtâs involvement in the operation, noting that two of Mohammedâs closest advisers were dismissed last week when the kingdom said Khashoggi died in a fistfight.
âWe have maintained since the beginning that the Khashoggi murder was premeditated,â a senior Turkish official told The Washington Post shortly after the Saudi announcement on Thursday. âWe owe it to Jamal and his loved ones to uncover all of the truth. The criminal investigation continues in Turkey.â
Khashoggi, 59, was a contributing opinion writer for The Post who was living in Virginia after leaving Saudi Arabia in fear of his safety. He had been planning to settle in Istanbul and marry his Turkish fiancee when he was detained and killed in the Saudi consulate. His body has not yet been found.
Through a steady stream of leaks to Turkish and foreign media, Turkish officials have mounted a compelling case that shows the Saudi agents had planned to kill Khashoggi, dismember him and dispose of his remains. That has included identifying a Saudi forensics specialist who is an expert in mobile autopsies that had traveled to Istanbul the day Khashoggi was planning to visit the consulate and pictures of Saudi diplomatic vehicles scouting wooded areas in the days before Khashoggi disappeared.
The leaks have also featured surveillance pictures of a Saudi agent wearing Khashoggiâs clothes and a fake beard and leaving the consulate in an orchestrated bid to fool investigators into thinking the journalist had safely left the diplomatic mission.
The United States has already taken some steps toward punishing the suspects detained or fired by Saudi Arabia, revoking their visas.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he is working with the Treasury Department on whether to impose sanctions on those found responsible for the journalistâs death.
It was not immediately clear how Thursdayâs announcement from Riyadh would impact Washingtonâs thinking amid bipartisan demands from Congress for severe punishment of Saudi Arabia â" the nation at the center of Trumpâs Middle East policy.
European Parliament passes resolution urging arms embargo on Saudi Arabia
Trump says Saudis engaged in âworst coverup everâ as U.S. imposes penalties
Todayâs coverage from Post correspondents around the world
Like Washington Post World on Facebook and stay updated on foreign newsSource: Google News Saudi Arabia | Netizen 24 Saudi Arabia